- Battery Percussion - A concert snare drum and all auxiliary percussion instruments required will be provided at the audition site. Students are welcome to bring their own snare drum or auxiliary percussion instruments if desired. Students must provide their own snare drum sticks.
- Timpani - a 29”, 26”, and 23” timpani will be provided. Students are expected to provide their own mallets. Timpani gauges are not to be utilized.
- Mallets - a 4.3 octave marimba (graduated bars) and a 3 octave xylophone will be provided. Students are welcome to bring their own keyboard instruments if desired. Students are expected to provide their own mallets appropriate for their instrument of choice.
- Snare Drum - Click on the following link for the required rudiments; SNARE DRUM RUDIMENTS
- Traps - Click on the following link for the required studies; TRAPS PERCUSSION AUDITION STUDIES (**NOTE Tambourine is no longer required**)
- Timpani - Students will prepare the SJBODA TIMPANI AUDITION STUDY and follow the outlined audition requirements for sight reading and solo.
- Diatonic scales up to and including scales in four (4) sharps, four (4) flats, and C Major are required for auditions. Scales are to be played in even octaves within the published range of the instrument. Scales are to be played at a minimum tempo of M.M. QN=100 in the pattern QEEEEEEQ.
- Chromatic scales are to be played at least one octave within the published range of the instrument. Adjudicators may not request a specific number of octaves. The student has a choice of which chromatic scale he/she wishes to play. The chromatic scale should be played in slurred sixteenths.
- ALL SCALES MUST BE PLAYED FROM MEMORY!
- The solo list is published by the South Jersey Band and Orchestra Directors Association in June for the following year. The list is available in the Solo Lists section. Sections of the solo will be selected by the judges and each student will play the same sections.
- ALL SOLOS MUST BE ORIGINALS, NO PHOTOCOPIES ARE ACCEPTED!
- Sight reading material is supplied by the Auditions Procedures Chairperson. Specific passages are determined by the adjudicators in each audition room. All students are to play the same passage. Tempos will be given to the student by the moderator. The student will be given thirty (30) seconds to study the passage prior to playing.